Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I was bored. Sent my team into the forums.

I'm new to this generation of Pokémon, so I wanted an opinion on the first team I made at Lv.50. I mainly use them for Battle Tower Rules and against local friends. I only have Pokémon Platinum and Pearl. Since I have Garchomp and Heracross, I assume my tier would be Overused. The team has performed extremely well against my friends and pretty well in Battle Frontier. But I've been trying to get the Great Ability Ribbon and World Ability Ribbon for a little while now and I'm starting to get frustrated.

I know these are almost standard sets, so what can I do to improve or what/who should I consider replacing (please leave explanation)? I also have no idea how to calculate EVs, so I'll try to be as detailed as possible (newb status, i know. Sorry). My three mains for Battle Tower are Garchomp, Gardevoir, Milotic, and then my Heracross would be next in line. Any constructive criticism would be helpful and greatly considered. Thanks!


Garchomp Lv.50 @ Life Orb

Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sand Veil

Stats
HP------191
Attack--163
Defense-123
Sp. Atk--90
Sp. Def-106
Speed---119

Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Fire Fang
Sword Dance

I intended Garchomp to be a Physical Sweeper. I usually start off with Sword Dance, depending if my opponent isn't capable of using Ice attacks. When I know that I can get away with two or three Sword Dances without taking major damage, I'd typically go for it which leads to Garchomp taking out most Pokémon in one hit. If I do see an Ice/Water Pokémon, I typically switch out knowing Garchomp has x4 Weakness to Ice. I use Life Orb to boost his Attack stats as well. He's usually my first in battles. I don't have a problem with this tough guy.

----------------------------------------

Gardevoir Lv.50 @ Lum Berry

Nature: Calm
Ability: Trace

Stats
HP------147
Attack---72
Defense--83
Sp. Atk-155
Sp. Def-156
Speed---110

Thunderbolt
Psychic
Calm Mind
Rest

I intended Gardevoir to by a Special Sweeper. I personally think Gardevoir's stats were great for being UU. I always try to go for the Calm Mind as the first move. I picked Thunderbolt because I've found it a very useful in my experience for those resistant to Psychic. If I'm low on HP and I haven't used Lum Berry yet, it works as a great combo with Rest. Since after it sleeps to restore health with Rest, the Lum Berry wakes Gardevoir up to go straight back into battle with full health. I was lucky enough to transfer this baby from my Emerald. Sentimental value.

----------------------------------------

Skarmory Lv.50 @ Shed Shell

Nature: Impish
Ability: Sturdy

Stats
HP------153
Attack---97
Defense-180
Sp. Atk--52
Sp. Def--82
Speed----90

Aerial Ace
Roost
Spikes
Roar

I intended Skarmory to by my Tank and Spiker. Since my Milotic is holding Leftovers for Battle Tower, I gave Skarmory Shed Shell to help recover from damage. I tried out this move set and liked it a lot. I'll throw out as many Spikes possible, than Roar almost every turn. Obviously, use Roost when I’m low on HP and Aerial Ace to attack. Aerial Ace NEVER misses! This is great especially when the opponent has used up Double Team to its max. This gives me a reason to laugh in their face thinking they could get away with high evasiveness. Only thing I dislike about Skarmory is that when it's down to the last Pokémon on each side with Skarmory as my last result, Roar/Spikes becomes useless.

---------------------------------------

Heracross Lv.50 @ Choice Band

Nature: Adamant
Ability: Guts

Stats
HP------163
Attack--167
Defense-103
Sp. Atk--51
Sp. Def-116
Speed---114

Earthquake
Stone Edge
Take Down
Brick Break

I intended Heracross to be a Physical Sweeper. Heracross was my main Physical Sweeper until I gave birth to Garchomp. Reason it's still one of my favorites is because it can take out almost every Pokémon in one hit. It's has THE HIGHEST attack points out of all the Lv.50 Pokémon I have for Battle Tower. With Choice Band, it makes Heracross even more devastating. Earthquake is extremely well rounded and Stone Edge is for the flying Pokémon. I usually switch out Heracross when I see a Flying Pokémon anyway with x4 Weakness to Flying attacks. Downfall I hate most about Heracross is with Choice Band I'm stuck with that one attack until I switch out. It gets annoying when my opponent switches to Bronzong and I previously used Earthquake. *shakes fist in the air* Like my Gardevoir, I was also lucky enough to transfer this guy from my Emerald.

---------------------------------------

Milotic Lv.50 @ Leftovers

Nature: Bold
Ability: Marvel Scale

Stats
HP-------168
Attack----70
Defense--122
Sp Atk---117
Sp Def---150
Speed----113

Surf
Ice Beam
Toxic
Recover

I intended Milotic to be a Tank. I honestly didn't know what the commotion was all about until I got my hands on a Feebas and evolved it to Milotic. OMG! This baby can take hits. Even against some Electric attacks, Milotic will still be standing (or slithering? haha). Skarmory was my old tank until I made Milotic. She's one of my mains now because she's a great tank that has a great offense stragety. I use Toxic and stall with Recover. Surf and Ice Beam are universal attacks that do decent damage to major damage regardless of type. Also, Milotic is great against Dragon types. I can’t find too many flaws for this beauty.

---------------------------------------

Azelf Lv.50 @ Choice Scarf

Nature: Jolly
Ability: Levitate

Stats
HP------160
Attack--156
Defense--97
Sp Atk--125
Sp Def---88
Speed---162

Zen Headbutt
Fire Punch
Explosion
U-Turn

I intended Azelf to be a Physical Sweeper. Its Attack stats are moderately good, in my opinion. I rarely use Azelf in Battle Tower, but I use it quite often against my friends. Choice Scarf to make sure I get the first attack with Zen Headbutt or Fire Punch. I'll use Explosion if I feel that I'm stuck in a corner. The expression on people's faces after seeing an Azelf explode is priceless and effective. And I'll use U-Turn when I feel like I can do a hit and run knowing that Azelf will be useful later. Downfall, like my dislikes to most scarves, I'm stuck with one attack until I switch out and its Defense isn't that great to go against some OU.

----------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment